  From: Tori
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 5:59 PM
  Subject: Re: [IPu] (Fwd) FW: Disetronic cartridges and infusion sets on
Governmen

  The Disetronic consumables are considered a prosthetic device which is why
  they can be claimed from private health insurers (they are on a schedule,
  just as pumps are; this has been a very recent addition to prosthetic
  lists, and the Disetronic consumables have a particular prosthetic device
  number which is now theoretically covered. The Minimed consumables do NOT
  have such a number yet, so there is little point in trying to claim the
  costs back).

  Disetronic cannulas can be used with Minimed pumps (and vice versa), but
  they are a bit different and have to be inserted manually (no "Sof-serter
  or similar). I think you'll find Minimed consumables also are added to the
  schedule in the near future. Bear in mind, however, that as far as I know,
  only one Disetronic patient has been successful in this endeavour (a Qld
  patient will be trying it next month) - I am unsure where they reside - and
  to obtain these consumables you must be given them whilst in hospital as a
  private patient (just like with a pump). I believe you only need to be in
  there for a half day or so, but again, I don't think this has really been
  tested yet.

  So don't go jumping the gun *just* yet.

  Tori

  At 05:30 PM 15/04/2003, you wrote:
  >Hi Alan,
  >Thanks for your reply. I use a minimed too. I apologise for my ignorance
but:
  >Do the disetronic fit minimed? Do they not have QR? If Disetronic is
claimable
  >why isn't minimed? But I think I might take up your suggestion and try
putting
  >in a claim on my health fund anyway (for minimed!?). Can't hurt!!
  >:)
  >Lynette Wamsteker
QR

  http://www.hypostasis.info