Re: [IPu] (Fwd) FW: Disetronic cartridges and infusion sets on Governmen

The Disetronic consumables are considered a prosthetic device which is why
they can be claimed from private health insurers (they are on a schedule,
just as pumps are; this has been a very recent addition to prosthetic
lists, and the Disetronic consumables have a particular prosthetic device
number which is now theoretically covered. The Minimed consumables do NOT
have such a number yet, so there is little point in trying to claim the
costs back).

Disetronic cannulas can be used with Minimed pumps (and vice versa), but
they are a bit different and have to be inserted manually (no "Sof-serter
or similar). I think you'll find Minimed consumables also are added to the
schedule in the near future. Bear in mind, however, that as far as I know,
only one Disetronic patient has been successful in this endeavour (a Qld
patient will be trying it next month) - I am unsure where they reside - and
to obtain these consumables you must be given them whilst in hospital as a
private patient (just like with a pump). I believe you only need to be in
there for a half day or so, but again, I don't think this has really been
tested yet.

So don't go jumping the gun *just* yet.