RE: [IP] Medtronic 670G announced: "Artificial Pancreas"

 I was excited to hear about the release of the new Medtronic 670G and the
anticipation of spring of 2017 availability. B But as I kept on reading about
the 670G I was confused that if it didn't control any glucagon release for
hypoglycemia and you still had to control the manual release of boluses for meal
or snack time how does the term "Artificial Pancreas" fit? B I understand that
the basal is totally controlled with ups and downs so I guess if after a couple
of hours post meal if you didn't dose enough the pump will take care of it. B I
wonder if this pump will turn off if your sugar goes to low? B I read that it
will be at least 5 more years for a pump to contain both insulin and glucagon. B
My warranty is over for my current MM pump so do I wait for the 670G or purchase
before the end of the year? B I guess after 37 years with type 1 I just want
that miracle to happen! B Thanks for reading, Robert

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.
 -------- Original message --------From: John S Wilkinson
<email @ redacted> Date: 9/29/16 7:43 AM
(GMT-06:00) To: email @ redacted Subject: RE: [IP] Medtronic 670G
announced: "Artificial Pancreas"
There are other hormones produced by the pancreas. Would they have to be
produced by an Artificial Pancreas?

What hormones does the pancreas produce?
The most important hormone that the pancreas produces is insulin. Insulin is
released by the beta cells in the islets of Langerhans in response to
food. Its role is to lower glucose levels in the bloodstream and promote the
storage of glucose in fat, muscle, liver and other body tissues.
Alpha cells in the islets of Langerhans produce another important hormone,
glucagon. This has the opposite effect to insulin, by helping release energy
into the bloodstream from where it is stored, thus raising blood sugar
levels. Therefore, glucagon and insulin work in tandem to control the
balance of glucose in the bloodstream.
Other hormones produced by the pancreas include pancreatic polypeptide and
somatostatin. They are believed to play a part in regulating and fine-tuning
the insulin and glucagon-producing cells.