Re: [IP] weight gain at infusion site?

I just watched a You Tube video done by some doc pushing a paleo-type
diet.  He pointed out that the foods with the highest glycemic indices
are mostly things that humans only started eating about 10,000 years
ago: rice, corn, breads, potatoes, sugars, etc. Everything that tastes
good and makes us hungry for more of the 'bad' foods. These all trigger
insulin release in non-diabetics and in those who have insulin
resistance, more insulin is released.  The consequences of this are
weight gain, metabolic syndrome and increased triglyceride levels.  Low
glycemic foods are meats, eggs, fish, green veggies,nuts - things that
the Neanderthal had no trouble gathering up.  Of course, this guy
skipped over the fact that paleo diets do not allow artificial
sweeteners and honey, sugar, fructose, lactose that paleo recipes call
for are listed as high GI foods.  He is saying that we humans did not
evolve to the point where we can easily handle grains and the high GI
foods. So if you are insulin-dependent, you make up for the lack of an
insulin-producing pancreas by bolusing more.

The doc also praised fats as not triggering insulin...not entirely true
or we wouldn't have to do square wave boluses or extended boluses to
handle pizza!

Congratulations on quitting smoking, Melody. Give it all back by going
low-carb!  I just passed 20 years of being a non-smoker as of
yesterday!  It does cause weight gain because nicotine and tar are great
appetite suppressants.  I gained 30 lbs. immediately back in 1995!

Denise Br.