Re: [IP] Medicare and insulin...am I crazy???

Barbara - I have found that the local Walgreens pharmacist do not always
understand about billing Part B for insulin that is used in an insulin
pump.   The prescription from your doctor must state that the insulin is
for use in an infusion pump (and state what kind of pump you use).   It
must always show the TTD (total daily dose).   My doctor always adds a bit
to this so that it takes into account what is used for priming and if you
happen to have a cartridge/set go bad and need to change your site
out.  Below is the number for the Walgreens Part B billing department in
Illinois.   They have always been helpful and will assist in getting your
local Walgreens to set this up correctly.   But first you have to start
with the appropriate prescription from your doctor if you don't already
have that.  I also have a supplement so they pay the 20% that Medicare
doesn't pay.   You do have to pay the 20% if you do not have a supplement
since insulin is covered under Part B as "durable medical equipment".

My prescription was written showing my total daily does (TDD), that I am a
Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic using an insulin infusion pump (Animas
PING).    My Walgreen's wasn't sure how to set it up so I asked them
to call their Medicare billing department since the script has to be
billed under Part B (not as a prescription under Part D if you have that).

WALGREEN'S BILLING, Danville IL, 1-888-281-0590, Part B Medicare
Billing.

Hope this helps you.

Shirley, dx age 5, 1954; Animas PING pump