Re: [IP] A story

Bonnie - what a pain! Does your longtime doc have a nurse practitioner in his
office? Maybe you cold see her every other visit to satisfy Medicare.?

----- Original Message -----

From: "Frances Richardson" <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Thursday, September 4, 2014 9:11:23 AM
Subject: [IP] A story

Hey Y'all:
B I have been a pumper for over 20 years - Minimed to Medtronics. Started with
Dr. David Bell then transferred to Dr. Richard Rosenthal. As I said, been at
Kirklin Clinic/UAB - Birmingham, AL. , for 20 years, ita 160mile round trip.

B As I leave each visit the doc says, see you in six months, I remind him,
Medicare says 90 days. And make the appointment for 90 days. Sometimes I would
go six months and get away with it. I started thinking about it and realized
that I was a well established patient, he always says I am his best patient
and
there was no medical reason for 90 day visits. So I call Medicare and begin a
dialog about the necessity of 90 days. I get the same from two
agents......because that is the policy!!! I ask for a copy of that policy and
they send me the link for a copy of the policy. There it is....in black and
white, pump patients must be seen every 90 days!!

B Also there is the actual requirements for chart notes to get those "extra"
test
strips. (Course I have since lost that link.)

B So, I take this to my long time Doc and say here are the Damn requirements
saying I have to see you ever 90 days. We're stuck I guess. He takes the
papers,
goes out for a minute and comes back and we finish the visit. When we are
through our same routine occurs he says see you in six months and I say
remember
it's ninety days. And this 20 year doc and friend, To whom I have brought
cookies and muffins and other treats for he and his staff, at least twice a
year, says to me, and I quote, "Make it six months I don't have time to see
you
that often, get another doctor to see you for the 90 day visits. That takes
time
I could be seeing new patients!

B I felt like I had been slapped In the face. Anger, pain, hurt in my heart I
was
shocked! Well, I made it for six months and thought about it all the way for
the
two hours home. The next day I made an appointment with a local endo who does
pumps here locally for Sept 18. If he and I can get along...and I am going to
force myself to like him. . ..... He is long known as a jerk with no
personality
but a brilliant jerk. Unless we can't work together and I am determined to
make
it work. I will fire my other doc and he will know why! I even think I should
report him to the AMA, UAB, and Medicare.

What do y'all think of this?

B And empathy to all of you who have and are fighting to get your six to ten
test
strips a day!! Geez! Why are we even required to do this.....no one at
Medicare
is diabetic and they don't have a clue. I was worn out with being on hold,
being
on the phone begging my doc or his nurse to fax them again, they did't get the
last two faxes, etc. I finally got them to give me six a day my doc cut down
from the seven or eight I actually use. But I am happy just hate all the
wasted
hours spent in getting what I need to be healthy!?!!

Sorry to be so long. B Interested in your feedback
Bonnie from Bama

Sent from my iPa
(select your charity = Insulin Pumpers)