From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Blake
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:36 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: changing morning bolus

----- Original Message ----

> From: Nora Nevers <email @ redacted>

> Do you add anything to your oatmeal like cream or artificial sweetener?
> love oatmeal but have not yet figured out how to work it in.  I know  that
> the steel cut are more "whole" than the rolled - how do you fix the  steel
> cut?  Do the ground flax seeds help reduce the bump in bg from the
oatmeal
> or just make it crunchy?
>
> Nora
> T2 dx 11/92, Omnipod Feb  2010

Nora,

I think rolled oats are as "whole" as steel cut oats, just flattened.  I
don't
 know if the difference in size/shape makes the steel cut oat slower to
digest;
 just like the texture of them. I do like old fashioned rolled oats as well
and
make those if I haven't had time to make any steel cut oats.  I fix 4
servings
of steel cut oats at a time using the overnight soak method.  I also have a
little more than one serving each time.  I use 5 cups of water and 200g of
uncooked oats, which is 5 servings (40g dry is one serving).  I divide those
5
servings into 4 portions so I have 1 1/4 servings each morning.  When I was
 eating just one regular servings I found I got hungry for lunch much
sooner. I
grind the flax seeds in a coffee grinder and add a heaping tablespoon, about

 12g. I add whatever kind of fruit I have on hand. Sometimes it's fresh
berries
or banana (I can only do 3 oz banana at most), sometimes dried fruit
(raisins,
 currants, apricots, apples - I usually add 22g of dried fruit). I do also
add 2
packets of Equal and cinnamon.  I made the oatmeal with water and add a
little
 milk only if it comes out too thick. The flax will thicken it if it's a
little
watery.  I add the flax to each serving as I'm ready to eat it.  I reheat
the
oatmeal in the microwave each morning and store the leftovers in the fridge.

Even eating the same breakfast all the time I sometimes have vastly
different
 results. Hormones play a big [part in that. During the times of the month
when
 I have higher resistance I can sometimes have a big spike and will fight to
get
 my BG down before lunch. When I actually have my period I have to be
careful of
lows, and will usually do a dual wave bolus.  Other times it's perfect and I

barely see a rise at all on my CGMS graph.  My breakfast I:C ratio is 1:16
but
depending on the time of the month I will manually increase or decrease the
bolus as needed.  I try to bolus 15-20 minutes before eating.

 --
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987