[IP] October 18 speech Living with Diabetes for 52 years

I am scheduled to be the second speaker at the Diabetes Update workshop.   I
plan to talk about diabetes in the good old days and maybe what has happened
to me from 1956 to the present date.   My second part will be my body and what
effect diabetes has had on it.   I will start with the toes.   Are hammer toes
something from diabetes?   Then the plantar fascitis.   Then moving up to my
broken left femur 10 years ago and the ostepenia diagnosis.   Next the
 prostate cancer. I still blame androderm. Heart is OK and gets checked
regularly.
 Then the allergies.   The nose?   Mine do affect my BG.   Heart is OK.
Then a misdiagnosis of my lymph gland which was taken out.   Probably not
 diabetes related just a doctor who wanted to take it out. Also the Dupuytren's
 contracture in both hands. Another operation not done right by another doctor.
Frozen shoulder but it might not have been caused by diabetes.   One Friday
night bowling Men's league had a teammate   who liked to slap a person's hand
very hard after a strike or a spare.     I blame him.   Moving up.
 Periodontal disease. Something about my ears also that Elocon takes care of. I
don't
use much of that.   The eyes--no retinopathy but I am a glaucoma suspect.
The brain?   I am going to give credit to playing bridge as something that is
good mental exercise and also builds up the immune system.   You can look it
up.
I guess that's it.   Like the guy on DLife who has been diabetic 60 years, I
guess I have to give credit to having the right attitude.   And I am always
big on exercise.   I recommend a treadmill to everyone, diabetic or not.   I
have a neighbor who walks along the River in the winter.   He fell through the
ice twice last year.   My advice to him?   Get a treadmill!   LOL
Cheers,
Jim Durr
Ogdensburg, NY