Subject: Re: [IP] MM pumps/static electricity

RoseLea
 People's experience withstatic electricity will vary greatly depending on many
factors. Where they live, is it a humid or dry area, as we all know static
electricity pretty much only exists when the humidity is low. The type of
clothing the person wears , are they prone to induce static electricity. The
type of activity the person engages in, how much relative motion is created that
tends to induce static electricity.

 If you've ever seen the little "lighting bolt" of static electricity jump
between 2 surfaces, you may or may not be aware that it takes about 75,000 volts
to jump an inch at sea level. It is very difficult if not impossible to design
any electronic product, be it an iPod, dell phone or insulin pump that can
dissipate a direct hit from that type of voltage without a solid ground to
absorb it. Things like making the plastic cases somewhat conductive and creating
what is known as a Faraday Shield around the product helps. There are many other
design details that also help but none are perfect.

 BTW I also personally had too many reliability issues with MM pumps which led
me to look for alternatives. I'm not sure any of them were static related.

Andy
53 years T1, 3 years OmniPod
 35 plus years of designing electronic products, way too many of which got
zapped.