From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Brian Mozisek-IP
Sent: September 29, 2008 9:00 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Pump Decisions

I have been pumping for 12 years and I just re-ordered a new cozmo
1800.  I have had a Minimed 506, Animas1000, Cozmo 1700, Cozmo 1800 ( I
got a free upgrade from the 1700 to the 1800 last spring).

My reasons is that in terms of pump tech I don't see any difference
between any of the pumps out there.

The minimed does have a CGMS reading directly on the pump, but the pump
in no way uses that reading to help calc correction bolus.  And I would
still have to carry a separate meter to calibrate and double check the CGMS.

The Animas Ping is very interesting, but it currently doesn't have a
CGMS built in, but I hear that the dexcom will be integrated at some
point.  Who knows when.  So if you want CGMS then you will have 3
devices (The pump, The pump PDA, and the CGMS).  Also, I believe the
Animas still only has a 200ml reservoir so that was an automatic
disqualification for me.

The Cozmo is essentially the same pump that It has been with the 1700,
with a few enhancements.  It doesn't have CGMS.  Abbot and Smith medical
are supposedly working together to integrate the Navigator in the same
fashion that the current cozmore is integrated to the pump, but for the
time being you have to have the separate navigate device to read CGMS or
the Dexcom Device.  Overall you have to carry two devices, your pump
(with attached meter) and the CGMS if you you want the CGMS.  Ifyou
don't want the CGMS then you can just have the pump with the attached
meter.  If you do use the Navigator CGMS, then you don't have to have
the attached meter because the Navigator has a built in Flash meter also
for calibrations.

I chose the Cozmo.  I also had a pump failure on a Friday night and I
got a new pump Monday morning.   However, I will be keeping my old Cozmo
to I will have a backup in case of a pump failure.   I could also do
this with another pump, but eventually, my supplies for the old cozmo
would expire and having an old spare cozmo wouldn't do me any good.

The decision is ultimately up to you and what you feel comfortable
with.  /start_sarcasm  Just rest assured that whatever company you
choose will probably have an enhancement in 6 months to a year and you
might not qualify for an upgrade.  :) /end_sarcasm

Brian
MM506/Animas1000/Cozmo1700/Cozmo1800/Cozmo1800 (Current)
Pumping since 1996

SteimQuest wrote:
>  I too have a Cozmo and the warranty will be up in a few months. So I am
in a
> similar boat.
>
>  From reading what you said it would appear to me there are two choices
you
> should research.
>
 > 1) Going with the Cozmo again. It's nothing new but it is familiar to you
and
> you'll be able to jump on board without a hitch.
>
 > 2) If you are interested in a CGMS pump currently the only choice now is
with
 > Minimed. You can check too see if you would be able to get insurance
coverage
on
 > the CGMS before actually ordering it. Maybe this could be a first option,
if
 > technology leap is more important to you, and if it does not pan out fall
back
> on the Cozmo.
>
> Best wishes on your decision!
>
> Tim