[IP] Air bubbles in vein

>From my reading, I understand that small air bubbles in an IV are more or
less a writers device to commit murder when the science isn't so
researched.  I've research a bit to try and tried to confirm this via the
web.  From emedicine (based on WebMD), I get the following link:
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/byname/venous-air-embolism.htm that says:

"Although classical teaching states that more than 5 mL/kg of air (IV) is
required for significant injury (including shock and cardiac arrest),
patient complications secondary to as little as 20 mL of air (the length of
an unprimed IV infusion set) have been reported. Further, as little as
0.5mL of air in the left anterior descending coronary artery has been
shown to
lead to ventricular fibrillation. "

So, my interpretation (which could be wrong) is that worries about a small
air bubble in an IV are more stressful psychologically rather than
physiologically......unless you are reading a murder mystery.

IMHO,   ...Don