Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:24:18 -0700
From: Laura Fleagle <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re: Ketones vs. Ketoacidosis

I can only speak from my personal experience.  I'm type 1 and have eaten
low-carb for over three years now.  I often show light to moderate ketones
(with normal blood sugars), and have seen no ill effects as a result.  In
fact, one of my main reasons for choosing a low-carb diet is because it is
so effective in keeping my sugars in the normal range!  (the other reason
is weight loss).

Dr. Bernstein is a physician with type 1 diabetes who recommends (and who
has followed) a very low-carb diet for many years.  His diet calls for
about 30 grams of carb a day, which is definitely low enough to put most
people (myself included) into ketosis.  Although I wish his book would have
addressed this issue more than it did, it does not seem to have caused a
problem for him or his patients.

Of course, I'm not a doctor and I'm not giving any medical advice to
anyone!  Ketones will always be a complicated issue for anyone with type
1.  IMO, if someone with type 1 is showing ketones in their urine and there
is ANY doubt as to whether it's something other than diet-induced ketosis,
they should deal with the situation immediately.

Just my thoughts on the subject....FWIW