[IP] extended bolus help

i use an animas pump and am just starting to try my extended bolus
option....question, let's say i give my normal bolus, then an extended bolus
of let just say 3 units over a 3 hour period... when is the best time to see
if a correction is needed? How do you judge how much insulin is still working?
After the 3 hours, the extended bolus is done, but insulin is still working...
and what if i check DURING the extended bolus, and see i am higher then i
should be, should i do a normal bolus?My main concern is when to do a
correction...thanks for any help.....