[IP] Re: Ketosis vs. Ketoacidosis

>>> Anyway, if I were to get ketones because I am eating fewer carbs, yet my
blood sugar is in the normal range,
is this cause for alarm?  If I remember right, it is only the ketones with
the high blood sugar (and dehydration) that makes it ketoacidosis, which is
what I should be concerned about. Has anyone been on a low-carb diet and
have any suggestions/advice about this?>>>

Here is a repeat of the explanation of Ketosis & KetoAcidosis:

Many people do not know the distinction between ketosis and
ketoacidosis. You CAN be in ketosis for 2 months, but not in
ketoacidosis.  Ketosis means that your body is burning fat for energy
because it's not getting enough glucose into the cells, whether from
lack of insulin or lack of food. At that level, the blood chemistry is
still relatively normal and the chief symptom is losing weight, with
excessive thirst and hunger. If it goes on long enough, nausea becomes
more frequent than hunger. Nearly every Type 1 (or their parents) can
remember those kinds of symptoms before diagnosis, and sometimes they DO
last for weeks or months before going into crisis. You also see ketosis
in starvation, extremely low-carb weight-loss diets, and severe

Ketoacidosis, on the other hand, is when the process has
gone wild, and the blood chemistry has become distinctly abnormal, with
a build-up of excess acid products. Symptoms include nausea, heavy
breathing, dehydration, stupor, coma, and finally, death.

Ketoacidosis is a life-or-death emergency. In a Type 1 diabetic, ketosis
is also an emergency, primarily because it will turn into ketoacidosis,
and is too dangerous to risk. In a non-diabetic, ketosis is not likely
to turn into ketoacidosis because the insulin supply is there, and as
soon as the person gets carbs, ketone production stops.