Re: [IP] Why do we have to have these discussions with doctors....

<<<<<<<<< The resident tried to explain to me that at this hospital,
there are ADA diets (I guess this hospital has their own ADA) and that
lows were much more dangerous in the Hospital.  I tried to refer her to
the JAMA research article that proved there were lower mortality rates
for hospitalized diabetics with tight control.  I then tried to explain
to her that if I was ever admitted I would expect the orders to reflect
that I would do my own fingersticks and adjust my own insulin using my

 The resident told me that Insulin pumps were against hospital policy
outside of the ICU.

The scary part is this women is my Internist's Resident.>>>>>>>>>>.

I am way behind in reading digests but had to comment on this!
My goodness, is this what they are teaching new drs in this day and
How awful!
I just had an outpatient procedure done at the hospital and I am so
thankful for this wonderful place.  They certainly are not perfect but
they do have a external insulin pump protocol that is followed very
closely.  All nurses in all departments also go to training seminars on
diabetes and the pump and each dept has a nurse who is the person who
keeps up on all this diabetes and pump stuff and makes sure everyone is
up to speed on the protocol!   My diabetes care while I am there as an
inpatient or an outpatient and in the ER is in my hands, they do what I
ask them to do and no more.  When I was going to be "out" the
anesthesiologist listened and wrote down the stuff for my pump so he
could stop and alarm if he needed to and there was no glucose in the Iv
at all.  My diabetes care goes on as it did at home.  My diet is what I
want it to be.  Last time I was inpatient I got a regular diet without
even asking or having to argue with the nurse to get it.
How can some hospitals be so good and others so behind the times in the
same country!??!

pumping since 08-00