RE: [IP] Islet Transplantation

I agree with you Jan, but this article wasn't too positive about the islet
cell transplants, nor the pancreas transplants, at this point in time. The
problem was more concerning the anti-rejection drugs that you have to take
and the side-effects, plus they were saying that the cell transplants
weren't lasting as long, for the most part, as what had been hoped for.

When I began pumping at age 44 ('83) I read an article that said people
could pump up until age 45. I laughed and asked if I had to give it up in a
year! I know some some transplantees who've had organs for 20+ years. I
dialyze with a gal who got a pancreas/kidney tx 9 years ago and the kidney
has failed. The point is, until sufficient time passes, they cannot predict
how long the transplants will last. Or how long pumpers can pump and at what
age. We've had a 74 y/o newbie pumper on here already. It's too soon to say
the islet cell tx's only last so long - insufficient time has passed.

There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it; for
example I am sitting here thinking how nice it is wrinkles don't hurt