[IP] Why do we have to have these discussions with doctors....

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:55:17 -0500
From: "Kathleen Weaver" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Why do we have to have these discussions with doctors....

Okay, the man's a primary care physician and I'm his first pump user.

I sat down and carefully looked at last months log, and found that since
I've gotten the pump, I've been using more than 10 test strips a day.  I had
been on 8 strips a day.

So my doctor was actually disturbed to be writing a script for that many
test strips!  He said, well soon you'll only have to test before meals

Okay, I haven't figured out weekends completely, I haven't figured out
stressful days yet, and I haven't figured out a whole bunch of stuff.  And
I'm losing weight so we know I'll have to do basal tests, and bolus tests,

But that's okay, we've had a discussion almost every single appointment that
makes me want to run screaming out of the place.  Once it was I need more
exercise -- and did you ask me how much I got before you got on me?

He's learning....
- ----------------------------------------------------------How many of you
run into the office unprepared? No log sheets, No log books, No orderly list
of prescriptions, no medical complaints documented. The blame detector is a
two way instrument.When you are disciplined  enough to give him this data, i
think you'll see a change in his behavior. Dont xpect him to write this S..t
down,give him or her  a break write it for him/her
And so are we  all. my doc nevert asks me that question, my dau's doc never
asks her either. All of us learn. An article in AMA Archives of Neurology
listed the patient's #1 frustration with their doctor as being "the doctor
doesn't spend enough time with me. My doc has a nurse in his office is very
competent, anyperson can talk to her. she alerts the doc as to what is going
on in the patient's life.He can then explore these problems more formally with
me and in greater depth. My doc also examines every part of my body from my
feet to my neck. How many of you get a complete exam on every visit. How many
of you feel at ease discussing your most intimate bedroom conversations with
your doc? when you can, you have a good doc for you., spot