Re: [IP] #533 [ip] bad docrtors/patients/respect & understanding

In a message dated 9/15/2003 11:56:20 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> -Most specialty
> societies have continuing education requirements. ome of the exams zre quite
> difficult and often the practice has no requirement to take these exams. In
> addition, doctors have J:ournal Clubs and discussion groups to review the
> published material and preparre remarks about it. some if these groups can
> rip
> a beningn appearing article to shreds in a few moments, with a comment that
> this article is bad science Any way becca it not the doctors who are bad but
> the patients who do not follow the recommendations and gt into trouble..

Thank you Becca, and Spot, for the information as it does help in the
knowledge of physicians. I do imagine that it is not so easy for many
 physicians......seeing people all day, in pain or those who just won't do what
they need to
 do to care for themselves, in addition to everyone wanting "make me well doc!"
I'm sure that most physicians became so because they are interested in what
they do, not to willfully misguide patients. Some physicians have really
 horrible "bedside" personalities and others give their hearts out, and doctors
have bad days also, but so can patients, especially when they are not well.
I think we all have to remember that medicine is not always an exact science,
and physicians are human and as falliable as we all are. As long as they are
trying their best, we should try our best, because, ultimately, it is up to
us. There is a saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him
Meaning, the docs are there to give us guidance, but it is up to us to
'Nough said, Tina H.