Re: [IP] Animas-Changing "O" rings

>Until recently, I had not realized O rings had to be changed on some pumps by
>the user.  Why do they have to be changed on Animas pumps, but I've never
>seen this mentioned for other pumps?
>Sherry, mom to Liz, age 14, dx3/01, pumping MM508-5/02

In the Disetronic H-trons, the battery packs had an O-ring
incorporated into the pack.  Animas just has that as a separate part,
and thus the 70 cents for an O-ring is much cheaper than a special
pack of batteries.

Many have seemed to believe there is some difference between
"watertight" and "waterproof".  In my mind they are pretty much the
same and I haven't found that Feds have any differences between the
two.   Basically they both indicate that a structure is impervious to
water to some extent.  If it is to a much lesser extent, then the
Feds consider it "water-resistant."   Watertight and Waterproof are
synonymous.  There are international standards for
water/tight/proof/ness.  The IPX-7 is a commonly used standard which
means it remains watertight for 30 minutes immersed at a depth of 1
meter.  There is NO standard for the IPX-8 rating.  For some
manufacturers, it is a depth of 5 meters, for others it is 10 meters.
The common term of time immersed does seem to be 30 minutes though.