[IP] Re: no more waterproof Paradigms

Hi all,
I see some may have posted on this already (see excerpt of press release
So the Paradigm isn't waterproof after all. Man, am I glad I didn't go with
 it. Waterproofing was extremely important to me when choosing a pump a year and
a half ago. At the time, the Minimed folks were just beginning to market the
Paradigm, which was due to come out just a few months later. I talked with two
reps who came to my home and asked them numerous questions about the
 waterproofness of the Paradigm. I was very concerned that if I were to swim
with the
Paradigm for more than 30 minutes and something happened to the pump, they
would not replace it. I didn't get a straight answer and therefore went with
another company.
Boy, am I glad I did. I swim, shower, surf (with the pump under my wetsuit)
and do whatever I want without worrying about water. The way I saw it was,
 wouldn't it be a pain to have to keep a part of your body out of the water all
time? The Minimed reps kept focusing on, "yeah, but how long to you really
stay in the water?" The point is, I don't want to worry about it. YMMV.
dxed T1 9/92, pumping since 1/02

Medtronic: Insulin Pumps Not Waterproof
Associated Press
September 11, 2003
MINNEAPOLIS - Medtronic Inc. warned doctors and patients that two of its
 insulin pumps that were sold as waterproof can develop stress cracks over time
take in water.
The company said people should not wear Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm 511 and
Paradigm 512 insulin pumps while swimming or participating in other water
 activities where the pump would be submerged because the water can cause the
pump to
shut down.
Spokeswoman Deanne McLaughlin said Wednesday that the pumps, launched a year
ago, were tested in 3-foot-deep water for 30 minutes at the MiniMed
 manufacturing plant in Northridge, Calif. They were considered waterproof when
she said.
"But over time, as people have used the pumps, the Paradigm has developed
stress cracks," McLaughlin said Wednesday. This summer, when people began
swimming more, Medtronic noticed more pumps were being returned due to water
exposure, she said.
"It's OK if it's splashed or dunked in water briefly," McLaughlin said.
Medtronic also recommends that patients disconnect the pumps when showering.