Re: [IP] BentCannula

In a message dated 9/12/2003 12:16:51 PM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> The other problem is that my
> pump does not alarm at all because insulin is still being delivered but just
> not into my skin. Instead, the cannula is bent up against my stomach and i
> don't know this until i check and i have a blood sugar of over 400! Any
> ideas? Anyone with similar problems?

I always try to test an hour after a set change, and if the numer show a rise
without cause (close to meal), I definitely recheck in another hour. If the
 number is still rising, I will do a bolus, trying to be extra aware if the tape
gets damp or smells like bandaids, which means that the cannula bent or
something. If three hours post change I do not like the #, I change the set.
 Usually, the cannula will turn out to be bent or something (this does not
However, if the first test after the set change (at one hour) has good
numbers, I will retest in another 2-3 hours, depending on how I feel, etc.
 Hope this helps a little.