  From: Tina Heubeck
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 3:06 PM
  Subject: Re: [IP] Seriousness of low blood sugars in children

  Hi Robin,
  having read your email about your son Kevin and his sports and your worries
when he will go to college I wondered why you are still so involved in his
therapy. He is 15. Doesn't he take care of the things himself? If he plays
soccer that often he should get used to a certain routine and learn to
estimate how much he running he did and how much extra carbs he needs. Maybe
you should try to figure something out where he has more responsibility so he
learn all the stuff and in the end he will be fine when he goes of to

  Just to give you some backgraund infos about myself. I was diagnosed at age
11. Always loved sports so there was never the issue to drop that. I usually
do sports in the evenings so that I know the night problem. But also I learned
to estimate how high/low the # has to be to get me through the night. If I am
in doubt I set an alarm clock.

  >While I agree that is the beauty of the pump...we too check Kevin sometimes
  >2-3 times a night. With soccer every day, sometimes 3 hours/day, his body
  >reacts according to how hard he ran for that time. We have put his pump at
  >50% lower rate, and still had lows well into the night...and when we think
  >have it all figured out, something else odd happens. Anyway, we check him
  >before we go to bed between 11pm-12midnight and then according to what that
  >is...we check again between 1-2 hours after...and repeat if necessary.
  >I worry about him in 4 years going off to college...cuz he doesn't wake up
  >when he's low!
  >Mom to Kevin, 15, dx 12/98
  >pumping 5/99

  MSN Easysurfer - Surfen Sie f|r 1,35 Cent / Minute Hier klicken