[IP] The 'Man in Black' Johnny Cash dead at 71

The 'Man in Black' Johnny Cash dead at 71
By Mary Jo DiLonardo
Special to CNN
Friday, September 12, 2003 Posted: 7:16 AM EDT (1116 GMT)

(CNN) -- The "Man in Black" died Friday. Johnny Cash was 71.

Cash died early Friday of complications from diabetes at Baptist Hospital in
Nashville, hospital spokeswoman Nicole Bates said.

Perhaps the most widely recognized voice in country music, Cash recorded
more than 1,500 songs, which appeared on nearly 500 albums. His career
spanned more than four decades with trademark hits like "A Boy Named Sue,"
"Folsom Prison Blues, "Ring of Fire" and "I Walk the Line."

While Cash has long had one of the premiere voices in country music, his
success crossed well over onto the pop scene. He had 48 singles on
Billboard's pop charts, rivaling both The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys.

His 10 Grammys include a lifetime achievement award and the 1998 Grammy for
country album of the year ("Unchained"). It's said that more than 100 other
recording artists and groups have recorded "I Walk the Line."

For full story:
Or: http://tinyurl.com/n43q