Re: [IP] confused ...about package label

Fiber does NOT affect BGLs because the body cannot break fiber down.  It just
passes through the body.

Sugar alcohols, however, are only not "effective" for those who still produce
 insulin. They break down slower in the body, therefore, the body can take care
of them, even in many Type 2 diabetics, without causing a spike.  They DO,
however, eventually enter the blood stream.

 For the Type 1, the carbs in sugar alcohols STILL need to be counted as regular
carbs.  Some people, however, only bolus for half of the sugar alcohols due to
the delay (and compensate it later by doing a correction).

But, in general, unless you start experiencing lows, you should subtract out
fiber but ALL other carbs (even those supposedly that are "not effective
carbs") should be included.

My personal preference, of course, is to just forego eating anything
 labeled "sugar free" to begin with and eat the good stuff! :-) Avoids all the

 BTW, usually most foods we eat today have very little fiber, so usually you can
ignore it.  But, in some cases where fiber content is higher, you should
 subtract it to prevent over-bolusing. Good exampe: Shredded wheat cereal has 5
grams of fiber per serving.  For me, that is .5 units, enough to lower my BGL
22 pts!