[IP] confused ...about package label

I am a tad confused about the packaging label a friend showed me.

It is Russell Stover LOW CARB Peanut Butter cups.  States on the front: Zero
sugar carbs.  2.4 carbs per piece.  Under nutrition facts (on the back) it
states that 4 pieces = 19g total carbs.

HOWEVER, in the corner (in small print) it says
Total carbs              19.2g
-Fiber                     - 2.1g
-sugar alcohol          -7.4g
Net effective carbs     9.7g

(Includes only those carbs that have a noted effect on blood sugar).

SO, Do you NOT go by the total carbs listed in this case??????????????????????

I always have just looked at the total carbs to figure out how much bolus to
take.  Are you supposed to subtract the fiber and sugar alcohol??????????????

Julie (please save your cancelled postage stamps. Leave a 1/4-1/2 inch
border around the stamps and mail them to:
Mr Maynard Guss 9593 NW 26th Place Sunrise, FL 33322.
Please indicate these stamps are for ASAP.
This is an on-going fund-raiser for an organization called ASAP.
www.asap.org My daughter has Chiari, a rare brain disorder)