[IP] Animas pump Annoyances

From: Linda Zottoli <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re:  [IP] Replacement lancet and daylight savings.... becomes Animas

On Monday, September 8, 2003,  "Bruce Felstein"
<email @ redacted> wrote:

> The frequency
> of alarms isn't something that you need worry about.
>  the Animas pump does not have an alarm that
> vibrates as does the Cozmo.  Does this pose any problems to those of
> you do
> use the Animas pump?

Well, of course, YMMV <gr.>.  I love my Animas pump, but, yes, the
alarms are something I do worry about.  My most common alarm is for a
low cartridge, and I try to remember to change the sensitivity setting
before going to bed if a low cartridge alarm is due, so that it doesn't
wake me up.  But it is a bother to have to think of before I go in a
meeting, church, movie, etc.  I have been mostly avoiding the Lo
Battery alarms by replacing the batteries monthly, but these will not
turn off on my pump (or on either of the other 2 pumps I have had, even
though they supposedly should) without removing the batteries, which
are the small, round 357s that can easily get dropped and roll under
something.  A pump I had gotten as a replacement for this pump, because
of the above problem, had several "call service" alarms -- that kind of
alarm can not ever be turned off without removing the batteries.  I had
one of these at a very awkward moment, during a medical test.  My most
recent problem with an out-of-control alarm occurred when I was on a
bus, on the way to meet friends for dinner, wearing a dress with a
fairly thick material skirt and my set inserted in an inaccessible
place.  I got an occlusion alarm -- I don't know the cause, but it
could possibly have been from something as simple as sitting on the
tubing.  But with the Animas, after such an alarm, you have to prime
before the pump will work again (and stop alarming every few minutes).
Well, I was able to press the "confirm" button to turn off the alarm,
but not to disconnect, which I felt I had to do before priming. It has
been suggested to me since that I could have pressed "prime" for just
one beep without much risk of getting much of a bolus, and certainly if
I had thought of that, I would have done it on this occasion (but I
don't KNOW what insulin might have been infused, nor even that it would
have been enough of a prime).  As it was, after doing some shuffling
around and deciding there was no even-approaching-discreet way I was
going to be able to disconnect that set under the circumstances, I had
about 15 minutes of bus ride and walking through crowded streets, not
getting insulin, with my hand all ready to press the "confirm" button
as soon as each alarm sounded, until I got to a ladies room.  Luckily,
I was only passing by secure government buildings, not going into them
<gr.>.  Having a vibrate mode would have felt much less stressful, even
though it would not have solved the problem of not getting the insulin.

Other annoying alarms occur with the Animas when you are changing
batteries or changing the cartridge, so I suspect most of us find
places to do these things where our alarms are not alarming or annoying
other people.

Linda Z
Just as bad if you were a guy with long pants and you get a false occlusion
alarmwhile teaching a lecture class. Not real cool, undoing your pants button,
unzipping your fly and sticking your arm down intoyour pants to get to the Sil
in your thigh, to disconnect and prime. the frantic alarm should have a menu
item cancel alarm which mutes the alarm for 10 minuites or so before it goes
off again,If the FDA requires it it could beep very quietly during the time.
and why do we have to be punished with a "hard reset" requiring taking out the
batteries on a train while trying to keep the new ones in one hand and the old
ones in another hand. its also harcd to fix these things when you are awakened
at 2 AM and our partner is sleeping blissfully and you are juggling all the
pump stuff trying to avoid waking him or her. I had asked animas to put a hard
reset switch on the side of the case inside,that could be activated by a small
bar magnet. having to play with the batteries means having to carry o-rings.
and the o-ring tool i always use the opportunity of the hard alarm as a time
to change batteries since you have them out. All that Aside it is a great
pump.very quiet, no clicking.  spot and Christine