[IP] Re: Type 2 caused by obesity

 The key words here are "at risk"...this is still not a statement of
causation...It's just an acknowledgment of the correlation between weight and
type 2.

>"Results from the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
>indicated that adults at risk for developing type 2
>diabetes could prevent or delay the disease with lifestyle
>changes in diet and exercise.

 Change in diet and exercise can often reduce INSULIN RESISTANCE which means
less insulin will be needed, and therefore produced...therefore there won't be
weight gain due to the overproduction of insulin.

>Based on the DPP results, the American Diabetes
>Association (ADA) recommended that all overweight people
>45 years of age or older with impaired glucose tolerance
>(IGT) or impaired fasting glucose (IFG) should be
>classified as having pre-diabetes and that they are
>potential candidates for diabetes prevention
>Overweight is defined as having a body mass index greater
>than or equal to 25 kg/m2."
>Jan, if you are correct then the CDC's info plus all other
>respected medical establishment's info is incorrect.  You
>should contact them and let them know most all their info
>on their website is incorrect.  Then, when I read it
>there, I'll believe it.

 The main problem here is the typical Western perception that everything must
have a cause and effect and that they cannot be intertwined...This is more
likely a cyclical issue...it doesn't really matter which came first...the weight
gain or the diabetes...they are a downward spiral reinforcing each other...

 As for causation, look at smoking and lung cancer...All lung cancer is not
caused by smoking...and smoking does not cause lung cancer in every smoker...But
there is a high correlation between the two...extremely high...However,
correlation alone CANNOT prove causation.

 There is a correlation between the amount of Ice Cream consumed and the number
of drowning victims, but that doesn't prove that eating Ice Cream CAUSES
drowning...You have to look at other factors to figure out where the
relationship is...which in this case is the season...more ice cream is consumed
in summer months, and more people go swimming in summer months...