[IP] Re: Dear Abby . . .

> My son has T1 diabetes and when
> his BS is high, he is completely not himself!  He is moody, grumpy, and
> his BS soars to 400 or above he becomes combative and will not remember
> of his actions when his numbers return to normal.

Here are some IP snips that I included in my BASH booklet 3 years ago:

"If I go much above 250 I turn into a real b****, and no one can stand to be
around me -- no one has noticed anything except that I'm mean. And they
think I'm doing it on purpose. A hidden, but disabling complication of
diabetes is exactly these behavior changes."

"The year before I went on insulin, I almost got fired (I'm a teacher)
because I was the B**** from h***! And I use those words on pupose. Not ONE
of my Japanese I students signed up for Japanese 2!! (That was the year I
went from *watch your diet to sulfonylureas to insulin: better BG control.)
Pumping has brought it more in line.

"I think the behavior problems are a MAJOR reason to get a pump -- abnormal
BGs just don't feel good, and this poor child is SUFFERING! You can't
ethically diagnose ADD unless the child's health and emotional needs are
being met -- it's not impossible that your son has ADD, but I sure wouldn't
jump to that conclusion as long as his BGs are swinging so wildly! And when
he IS having trouble, the teachers are probably pulling their hair out, too,
which creates a vicious circle! You need to be a REALLY squeaky wheel, and
get his doc to cooperate -- for a child, time just goes by TOO fast to be
put on perpetual hold!"

"What I hated most of those 21 years was the mood swings that went along
with those ups and downs. I was lethargic, tired, and crabby when it was too
high; impatient, irritable, and obnoxious even when it was a little low. The
pump has changed my life."

"He's had a pump for one year now, and the difference is like night and day.
I often wish that he'd had that pump during those horrible years. My advice,
don't leave your doctor's office without that pump!"

"I think DM can be very challenging emotionally, especially if the BGs vary
a lot. My 4 y/o tends to be more grouchy if he's high for a time. He is
amazing when he is low. Sometimes he actually has more energy. I can attest
to the fact that BG levels vastly change moods. Factor that into what all
diabetics have to deal with in caring for DM on a daily basis; that could
easily account for a lot of emotional and physical upsets.

Me (Jan) here:
When I got my sugars under control after starting to use home BG testing,
and pumping for what I ate, made quite a difference in my lifestyle and
behavior. I amaze myself now.

Statistics can *prove* our points. Life is lived and experienced while
studies are logged and articles are written. None of the people above read
the article by Dr. Barrett as the above was 3 years ago.

You can use statistics to prove anything that's remotely true - 63% of
people know that.