Re: [IP] Dear Abby

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003,  Don Stevens <email @ redacted>

> It is nice to have something to blame for your actions.  Most 'people'
> do get grumpy and hard to get along with when they are ill!!!!  NOT
> because they are diabetic!   I know several 'Non-Diabetic' as-hol-s
> :)    You can find a fight at just about any Bar,
> Sorry, I'm a long way from beliving  that we act the way we do, because
> we are diabetic!!!

Don, I agree, there are all sorts of reasons for being grumpy and hard
to get along with, and the world's not going to be very pleasant if
everyone just gives in to it.  There are certainly many opportunities
in a diabetic's life to control one's behavior <gr.>.   But, for a
couple years pre-pump (after more than 40 years of diabetes), I had
some periods when I would "come to" to find myself yelling at my
husband and feeling extreme anger.  One of those times, I could hear
myself screaming so angrily at him to heat up the dog.  After "coming
to", I had no idea what I had been angry about (nor why the dog needed
to be heated up), but I think if I were a large person and he were
small, I was acting in a way that he would have been physically scared
of me.  I still have a picture in my mind of seeing him, more than
once, white-faced, holding a glucose tube straight out in front of him,
as if trying to stick it in my mouth with minimal blows from me -- I
think I did hit him more than once.  I also have a vague recollection
of an incident as an adolescent, which mortified me (after what I
believe may have been a serious dosage error).  I suspect no one who
knew me would have missed that something was seriously amiss each of
these times -- slurred, slow speech and body movements would have given
that away, if nothing else (and, of course, mine always happened during
the night or as I woke up, so I would have been in my night clothes
<gr.>).  So I never really needed that card I carried as a teenager --
"I AM NOT DRUNK, I  am a diabetic".

  I don't think I, at the time, had any more control over this kind of
"unconscious" behavior than I have over what I dream.  In the long run,
I have "controlled" it by avoiding having long-acting insulin
erratically lower my blood sugars -- I still have lows, with the pump,
but I don't have that kind of experience from pump lows.  And I think
everyone else should be trying to control it, too, but I don't know if
they all can, and certainly it would take a while to figure it out.
The grumpies will be a lot easier <gr.>.

Linda Z