[IP] Re:Meter question Need Quick Feedback

    Eloisa, I have used the WalMart ReliOn meter for almost 2 years as a
backup and traveling Bg checker. If I did not have insurance support it
would be my first choice because it has the or near lowest strip prices. As
of about 1 1/2 years ago I have found it to vary more than my main meter ,
the Ultra. It also varies quite a bit if I check the same drop of blood with
several strips ( precision). Compared to the Ultra this meter requires more
aiming skill. The memory holds the last 10 readings. The meter temperature
and humidity range may cause more inaccuracies: 64 to 86F( 18 to 30C) and
20% to 80%. Their help line told me that they are plasma referenced and that
after either 2000 or 4000 ( I forget which) you send it back for another
meter with fresh batteries.
    But with everything considered, if I were in this situation the ReliOn
would be my choice. WalMarts are worldwide and supplies could be
    One last comment: if it was possible to get some lower-carb information
into his life the meter would allow him to see more control and hopefully
more motivation.         Peter