[IP] Re: Type 2 NOT caused by obesity..

Actually, that is sort of the jist to the Native American study.  But the
"messed up " system for metabolism, in this case is ONLY messed up for
today's lifestyle, not for the lifestyle of the average person 100+ years

But, yes, the genetics that control the metabolism are what ultimately lead
to the Type 2 diabetes and/or obesity (or so the thinking goes).

Cindy keeps coming back to the facts that have proven that obesity has been
proven to delay or prevent the onset of Type 2...and, that MAY be true...but
it hasn't been proven.  I can think of several other ways to interpret the
same studies that supposedly prove this.  While they may, on the surface,
APPEAR to be tied to the obesity, it is indirect.  For example, part of what
leads to obesity and Type 2 in one way of thinking is based on metabolism.
A slower (or in some way, varied) metabolism would contribute to weight gain
AS well as insulin resistance, etc.  So, why would losing weight sometimes
slow the progression if it wasn't the weight itself?  Because, in order to
lose weight effectively, one has to increase activity.  An active lifestyle
helps lose weight, but is also just what is needed to increase the
metabolism.  This increase in metabolism may very well be the cause of
preventing or delaying Type 2 (even possibly reversing), not the weight loss

I don't know that is the case...but the point is that just because weight
loss has been tied to delay of Type 2 doesn't mean that weight loss CAUSED
the delay.  It is very similar to the trials and studies that have shown
that reducing your A1c levels greatly reduces your chances of complications
from diabetes.  The fact is, it isn't REALLy reducing the A1c directly that
makes the difference...but rather, having better control of one's blood
sugar levels.  A lower A1c AND reduced complications are BOTH the result of
controlling blood sugar levels...it isn't the A1c itself.  In fact, it is
possible to reduce one's overall A1c level by having lots of lows with still
higher than normal BGLs.  The result would be that the A1c would be lower,
but the complications higher still.

I must still, once again, iterate that I'm not suggesting that the
possibility exists that obesity may, in fact, "cause" Type 2...but my point
is there is plenty of evidence to the contrary, INCLUDING the studies that
seem to directly support this fact if one takes the time to re-interpretting
the data.  The FACTS are that if when a group of people reduced their
weight, they were able to delay or avoid Type 2...but the study didn't look
at what actions those people took to lose weight, which may have been the
actual cause of the dealy....nor did the studies look differentiate those
people who DID lose weight but DIDN'T delay Type 2 as well as those who did
NOT lose weight but DID delay Type 2.  Instead, they are all statistically
lumped together under the label "obese".