Re: [IP] Pancreas test

In a message dated 9/9/03 8:34:52 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was curious what
> happens to the pancreas in the body when it stops producing insulin asking a
> doctor who said "the pancreas just stays there and doesn't do anything" -
> that
> satisfied my curiosity after thinking it was going to rot or something! Geez
> what I worried about until I asked! Sharon B

The pancreas also provides the substance that helps with digestion. Cystic
fibrosis (often thought of as only a lung condition) also has a pancreas
 connection in that the pancreas of people with CF do not produce the digestive
enzymes(?) and therefore have to eat vast amounts of calories to maintain
weight. People with CF also are at higher risk for type 1 diabetes. I've often
 thought that would be a real bummer of a combination. :-\ Also, the alpha cells
the pancreas are what signal the liver to release glucowhatzit when you go
 low. That's why type 1s are more prone to hypoglycemia -- their alpha cells
function well, either.

Jan and ElvisToo