[IP] Re: Type 2's and NOT obesity-caused stuff

> (ATLANTA)The burden of diabetes in adults in the United
> States has increased substantially over the last decade.
> Diabetes represents a serious health risk to millions of
> Americans, according to new research published by the
> Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the
> September issue of Diabetes Care.<<

We talked about this on IP a couple of years ago and some of us wondered
about the population becoming more aware of the symptoms of DM and being
checked at health fairs and even other family members' meters. Wouldn't more
awareness mean more dx's? It may not really have changed all that much, just
that there are more tools and awareness.

> <snip> . . . 19.8 percent of
> American adults to 20.9 percent of American adults between
> 2000 and 2001, and diagnosed diabetes (including
> gestational diabetes) increased from 7.3 percent to 7.9
> percent during the same one-year period. The increases
> were evident regardless of sex, age, race and educational
> status.

hahaha - I'd think sex has a definite play in gestational diabetes. YMMV!!!

You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that
you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her
at that moment.