[IP] Re: Obesity and Type 2

>>From: email @ redacted
Also ...
       There is no such thing as "borderline" diabetes.
You either have it or
you don't. There is, however, something called "impaired
glucose tolerance,"
which can be a precurser of diabetes.
       Having type 2 in your family does not guarantee you
will have it. I
 have diabetes. None of my three brothers do. <<

Okay.  The doctor used the term "borderline" and I am
guilty of repeating it.  My mom had impaired glucose
tolerance which she turned around.  The point I was making
is that Type 2 CAN (not always, but in a lot of cases) be
prevented or delayed.  My brother got it at age 52 because
he is overweight.  My dad didn't get it until he was 77
because he was in much better physical condition.  Another
article from CDC which supports this:

Results from the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP)
indicated that adults at risk for developing type 2
diabetes could prevent or delay the disease with lifestyle
changes in diet and exercise.

Based on the DPP results, the American Diabetes
Association (ADA) recommended that all overweight people
45 years of age or older with impaired glucose tolerance
(IGT) or impaired fasting glucose (IFG) should be
classified as having pre-diabetes and that they are
potential candidates for diabetes prevention
Overweight is defined as having a body mass index greater
than or equal to 25 kg/m2.