[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #519

  >To the surprise of the CDC and health
> >professionals, a 20 year look at obesity and Type 2 has shown that while
 > >obesity has increased 61% in the U.S. in the past 20 years, Type 2 has only
increased 5%. All of a sudden, the case of obesity causing Type 2 doesn't
> >hold

Here's an even better article (again from the CDC website)
which doesn't jive with Ryan's statement that the case of
obesity causing Type 2 doesn't hold:

"New State Data Show Obesity and Diabetes Still On the

The obesity and diabetes epidemics continued to escalate
during 2001, according to new data released today by the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

In a study published in the January 1, 2003, issue of the
Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), CDC
reported that obesity climbed from 19.8 percent of
American adults to 20.9 percent of American adults between
2000 and 2001, and diagnosed diabetes (including
gestational diabetes) increased from 7.3 percent to 7.9
percent during the same one-year period. The increases
were evident regardless of sex, age, race and educational

"Obesity and diabetes are among our top public health
problems in the United States today," said HHS Secretary
Tommy G. Thompson. "The good news is that diabetes and
other chronic illnesses can be prevented with modest
lifestyle changes. As we enter a new year, it is a great
opportunity for all Americans to be active and healthy."

Currently, more than 44 million Americans are considered
obese by body mass index*, reflecting an increase of 74
percent since 1991. During the same time frame, diabetes
increased by 61 percent, reflecting the strong correlation
between obesity and development of diabetes. Today an
estimated 17 million people have diabetes in the United

Full article at: