[IP] Re: Dialysis center

Gail Donohue wrote:
> My mother's complaints are that they have cut staff so much that only
> one RN is there during daytime hours.

My clinic has 24 chairs and two RNs. However, there are 8 technicians (3
chairs per pod).

> they prohibit her from eating there and she continues to use Regular
> and NPH so she needs to eat a lunch and dialysis is between 10 am and
> 2 pm if they are running on time.

Yeah - BUMMER!!! I have to go 7 hours without eating. I'm in the chair from
3:45p.m.-8:45 p.m. If anyone is caught eating or drinking they are taken off
the machine and sent home!  It seems someone somewhere choked to death on a
cough drop so they are CYAing. Then I know of some places (London) where
patients order food from the next door restaurant and it's delivered. I
questioned about people needing to eat on long-acting insulin and they
didn't give me any definitive answer. We are not to have a meal before we go
as blood pressure can drop drastically during digestion. Can she request an
earlier or later time? I finally got the time I wanted so we get to eat
about 9-9:30 p.m. now instead of 11:00 p.m.

> They no longer supply blankets.

We are given one fleece blanket our first treatment and we are responsible
for it thereafter. Some have bought their own - I'm holding out for a
sapphire blue fleece throw. One gal brings a fluffy quilt - even in
summertime. It's cold when your blood is running out of you. We're given
exciting maroon blankets. We are also given flimsy earphones for the TVs and
have to replace them ourselves if/when broken. I take 3 pillows with me in
my carryall bag. That includes a TV guide.

> Bandaids that help clot blood are
> no longer available as well as quinine (sP?).

This does seem odd. Are those the Sure-Seals? I don't usually use those as
they're tough to get off my skin. I hold my sites with folded 4x4's. If I
cramp there, they add saline to the lines. I don't know anything about
Quinine availablity. I can't tolerate Q anyway.

> There are few facilities
> for her to get transportation in her area but she really finds there is
> a change in care.

My clinic is owned by 5 doctors and they have 4 of them in about a 25-mile
radius. If I choose another than mine, it's the same just diff. staff.

> Any suggestions on where to complain to...we got the corporation that
> took over, the hospital, State Dept of Senior health, and the other non
> profit org listed on the Medicare site....any other ideas??

We also are given a Patient Bill of Rights form and a place to complain to.
I'll check on that Wednesday when I go back and give you the source. We also
have teenagers at my clinic and many younger than I - so it's not ALL
seniors involved.

My present BIGGEST complaint is the chair (La*Z*Boy) provided is giving me
excruciating back pains and muscle spasms. I have a terrible time getting
out of bed or even turning over. The pains are even going down into my leg.
I was in a couple of chairs at another clinic with NO pains and they dug one
like it out of storage for me at my clinic. NO pains! Then a hunk of wood
and metal fell out from underneath and they trashed the chair. I'm miserable
and they WILL NOT trade one for one chair with the other clinic so I can be
comfortable. Bottom line is (& with your mom) THEY do not have to suffer
pains, nor go w/o eating, nor freeze, nor get stuck with huge needles twice
3x a week, nor not move around, etc. Until that time, they get on with their
lives as they freely choose that career and go home when the shift is over.
Including the doctors. WE did not choose to go there and are stuck (pardon
the pun).

You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that
you once got from a roller coaster