Re: [IP] Re: pe 2 NOT caused by obesity...

In a message dated 9/8/03 7:34:13 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> From: Kress Family [mailto: email @ redacted]To:
> email @ redacted:
> Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:51:52 -0500Subject: [IP] Re: pe 2 NOT caused by
> obesity...Not
> all Type 2's progress to insulin. In fact, many do not. I know some
> personally
> who have lost weight, made some lifestyle changes which allowed them to
> either
> reduce their oral meds or quit them altogether.Cindy
> Cindy, Actually MOST do eventually end up with pooped out beta cells. If you
> would like my reference it's Gretchen Becker's book, "The First Year, Type 2
> Diabetes" pages 210-216 and as a result they will end up on orals and then
> insulin. Liz

She probably got that from the UK Prospective Diabetes Study, which is the
type 2 equivalent of the DCCT. It found that, even among those with good
control, the disease continued to progress.

Jan and ElvisToo