[IP] Re: Type 2 NOT caused by obesity...

>>From: email @ redacted
Of course, despite the strong correlation between the two, the second half
doesn't really make sense.  Now I realize this is an exaggerated example, but
it demonstrates the point...that just looking at the fact that MOST Type 2
diabetics are obese doesn't mean that reducing obesity reduces Type 2...nor
does it mean that a rise in obesity means a rise in Type 2.

The fact is if you are overweight or obese, you are at a much higher
risk of being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  Even if that wasn't a
leading cause to the development (which I believe has been
established that it is), it is proven that losing excess weight will
improve (or possibly eradicate) the disease in most Type 2's cause
most Type 2's are overweight and being overweight is related to being
a Type 2 diabetic (that correlation has to mean something

If the gene theory was correct (that Type 2 comes first and then the
weight), many members of my family would have been diagnosed with
Type 2.  It runs on both my mom's and my dad's side.  My mom didn't
have a problem until she gained weight and then became borderline.
She lost weight and that put her blood sugars back in normal range.
My dad was always active, never overweight.  He developed Type 2 at
age 77.  I feel almost certain he would have developed it much
earlier in life if he had been overweight and/or sedentary.  Another
good example is my brother who was diagnosed at age 52.  He has been
overweight since his 30's.  Out of six siblings, he is the only one
who is overweight, and the only one who has Type 2 diabetes.

I'm sticking to what has been accepted as a precursor to Type 2
diabetes...excess weight... by the medical establishment, the ADA,
etc. until someone comes up with other reputable, unquestionable

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99