[IP] Re: Special Ed/504 Plans/School

>Subject: Re: [IP] special ed

>From: email @ redacted
>I want to back Gayle in suggesting that parents of diabetics with problems
>go to your Special Ed.
>people at your child's school.

I am, admittedly, a long way from school, but I just wanted to share my
experiences as a "mainstreamed" student in a publc school system.

Yes, I had a 504 plan.  Yes, I had Special Ed teachers that I met with on a
weekly basis.  Yes, I was fortunate enough to have a school nurse who
understood at least a portion of my needs (I am deaf and had orthopedic
problems, as well as having Type I when I was in school).

HOWEVER, none of these things are going to help if you don't have teachers
and other professionals who are willing to listen.  I had to spend every
single day reminding teachers and others of what I needed to function in
class.  Because any needs I had related to diabetes were, at that point,
occasional, it was even harder to get them to remember and understand.

Please also keep in mind that once you get a special ed teacher involved
(and I'm not knocking special ed.  Its saved my butt more than once!) your
child will be forever labeled as a "special needs" student.  Please,
parents, consider that.  It may not seem like much in the grand scheme of
things, but believe me, it matters to the student in question.

I don't mean to discourage anyone whose child ,ay be srting school, but just
wanted to give another perspective on these topics.  By all means, get that
504.  Its something that will back you up when you have to keep reminding

Weird Jenn
email @ redacted

AIM:  jspock1
ICQ:  25177424
MSN:  email @ redacted

slow!"  -Kathy Buckley

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage.