Re: [IP] special ed/prejudice in schools

In a message dated 9/8/2003 6:30:59 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> That was probably true in some
> communities, and may yet be, but if so, it's the ADULTS fault.

Kathleen, I agree with you totally. While kids will be kids, they usually
behave as ADULTS have taught them or modeled for them. We all know that
 prejudice/taunting/and singleing a child out due to differences occur, and it
is up to
the ADULTS to stop it in its tracks.

I am so fortunate in the fact that I have been able to work with some
 children, who attend the Chugach Optional School here in Anchorage. It is a
 elementary school, whose format is a little differenent that reg schools as the
classes are combined 1&2, 3&4, 5&6. The older students are encouraged to help
the younger students or anyone who needs it, and every year they do
 activities to celebrate their DIFFERENCES. Of all the children I have been
around, and
all the schools I have associated with, this is one of the best I have ever
seen. Parents are REQUIRED to put in so many volunteer hours per year, which
brings the families and students together, instead of pushing them apart.
I have NEVER seen anything but graciousness and politeness from the students,
even if they "do not get along" with another student. They are taught
appropriate ways to handle the situation as all children should.

Remember, we are what we eat? Well, we live as we are taught.
Tina H.