[IP] Re: Type 2 NOT caused by obesity...

I think the point is that while there is a strong correlation betweek obesity
and Type 2 diabetes, it does NOT prove that obesity in any way causes it.

Let me give you an example:

Nearly all people who are male have high levels of testosterone, therefore if
 you lower your levels of testosterone, you can reduce your risk of being a

Of course, despite the strong correlation between the two, the second half
doesn't really make sense.  Now I realize this is an exaggerated example, but
it demonstrates the point...that just looking at the fact that MOST Type 2
diabetics are obese doesn't mean that reducing obesity reduces Type 2...nor
does it mean that a rise in obesity means a rise in Type 2.

In fact, that was what triggered this.  To the surprise of the CDC and health
professionals, a 20 year look at obesity and Type 2 has shown that while
obesity has increased 61% in the U.S. in the past 20 years, Type 2 has only
 increased 5%. All of a sudden, the case of obesity causing Type 2 doesn't hold
much water.  Instead, what it shows is that those who develop Type 2 are more
likely to be prone to obesity, which is consistant with the results of the
Native American study on Type 2 diabetes, from what I've seen.

 Of course, losing weight should ALWAYS be a goal because there are other health
benefits.  But, the idea is that obesity has resulted BECAUSE of the
development of Type 2 (or, rather, developed due to a genetic predisposition
that leads to Type 2) and NOT that obesity is what brought Type 2 about.

Just food for thought.  As I've mentioned, though...if you are overweight,
 there are plenty of other health reasons to try to lose weight. But, actually,
eating healthy and increasing activity are better goals.