Re: [IP] dead pump

> In a message dated 9/8/03 11:42:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > ..... When my daughter has had to go without her pump, she uses
> > regular insulin every 4 hours to provide basal and does bolus
> > injections as needed for food, etc.... using exactly the same routine
> > as when she pumps. She does not change how she lives to accomodate
> > the the insulin (hated nph). This means R at bedtime and at wake up
> > and once during the night. She does the injections (carefully) into
> > her set-port.
> >
> > Michael
> > Michael
> Does she use regular insulin when she is on her pump?

No, used to use Humalog + Velosulin mix, now uses Novolog
The reason for the regular is to prolong the time between doses but
avoid NPH or other long term insulin. For her, this allows exactly
the same management routine to be maintained as when she pumps
without having to worry about the variable effects of the long-term