Re: [IP] Re: Type 2 NOT caused by obesity...

A friend of mine who is a CDE said that, after explaining the symptoms, she
 has been asking her new clients how long they believe they've had diabetes. Her
younger clients mid-20s to 30-something have told her "since I was a kid."
Looking back, I had all of the symptoms when I was 20. I was diagnosed (at my
 request) when I was in my mid-30s. So, no, I don't believe docs were looking
type 2 in children or young people until just recently.

Type 2 creeps up on you with cat's feet. You can have it for years and years
and not know it. I believe that insulin resistance starts and, for a long
time, your pancreas can pump out enough insulin to keep your numbers in good
 range. However, all of that excess insulin is contributing to weight gain. (The
 excess insuolin causes some pretty severe hunger all the time, too, which
help.) As your BGs creep up, the lethargy sets in. By the time you are
 diagnosed you are overweight and sedentary -- but you've had diabetes for
years. The
diabetes is the cause of the weight gain and "laziness" -- not the other way

Type 2 is also a disease of beta cell dysfunction. Generally, by the time
type 2 is diagnosed, about half of the beta cells are toast. And, because it's
 progressive (that's why we progress from diet and exercise to orals and wind up
on insulin in an effort to keep our BGs under control), you can run all you
want, but it's going to catch up with you if you live long enough.

Jan and ElvisToo