Re: [IP] Re: email @ redacted

In a message dated 9/7/2003 6:21:55 AM Alaskan Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> Isn't it sad that doctors don't place more importance on Type 2
> diabetes?  My dad was diagnosed a few years ago and his doctor did
> the same thing...gave him 'script and sent him on his way!  I gave
> him one of Noah's meters, told him he needs to test every day and
> called the doctor to write a 'script for test strips.  It's
> unbelievable to me that this is standard treatment from a lot of
> doctors.  Very sad.  Especially when they know all of diabetes'
> complications.
> I congratulate you on getting involved at the level you are with this
> teen.  It sounds like you are going above and beyond the call of
> duty!  How lucky for him that his path has crossed yours!  I wish you
> success in all you're trying to accomplish.
> Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99

Just about the same happened to me. Oh, you are diabetic, so take this med,
follow this diet. I was told to get a meter, no discussion on what kind or how
to use it, except to test once a day on a random time schedule.
Now test randomly once a day is like reading one letter of a word and trying
to understand the word, much less the sentence! Lot of help that was.
 Fortunately for me, (as I didn't know anyone else who was diabetic, nor was the
 suggestion of a support group forthcoming), I like to understand the medication
I am
taking, and what I am dealing with, and I research the subject. Until I came
to IP, most all that I knew of diabetes, came from ME and books. I will say,
 the physician I have now did have me attend a diabetes class at the clinic, but
it was for newly diagnosed T2's (about 8 yrs late for me) and while I learned
a lot, there was still a lot lacking.

Yes, it is a shame that T2 diabetics are often 'brushed aside' Because
statistics show that about 85 to 90% of diabetics are T2.

We may not be T1, but does our health not count? T2's have the same long term
risks as T1's,. if not a little more. Now, before we go to war, continue
reading why I say this.......Many of the oral drugs given to T2's to contol
 diabetes, have the same long term complications as uncontrolled diabetes! The
kidney and liver damage. as well as other complications. (Maybe not eye
 damage), but that is not really the point. The point is, that T2's are handed a
and told to return in 6 months, and they leave thinking all will be well. To
me, that is wrong!

Anyway, I am glad to now be a part of IP, where I have learned so much, and
found many friends who understand what it is to deal with health issues on a
daily basis and great support!

Tina H.