RE: [IP] Type 2 NOT caused by obesity...

 --- On Sun 09/07, Ryan Bruner < email @ redacted > wrote:

 From: Ryan Bruner [mailto: email @ redacted]To:
email @ redacted: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:38:26 -0400Subject: [IP] Type 2
NOT caused by obesity...Well, anyhow, this is controversial at this point. But a
recent look atstatistics in the U.S. has shown that while obesity in the U.S.
has grownDRAMATICALLY in the last 2 years, there is NO increase in Type 2
diabetes.What this indicates is that obesity doesn't CAUSE Type 2 diabetes in
anyway...but rather, that the genetics that lead to the development of Type
2diabetes ALSO make people prone to obesity.In other words, obesity is NOT a
cause of Type 2 diabetes...but rather aco-symptom of the genetics that lead to
Type 2 diabetes.This is good news and bad. First, it means that people who have
overweightwho have Type 2 don't need to feel guilty for having "caused" their
Type2...and second, it is good because these same people likely have
metabolismsand body genetics that lend themselves to having more weight.The bad
news i!
  s that the information could lead to an "excuse" to allowpeople to continue
eating unhealthy and in a way that leads to obesity.The key here is that if you
are eating healthy, but still are experiencingthe inability of losing weight,
you shouldn't overly concern yourself orfeel guilty. But, if you are overweight
as a result of just poor eatinghabits, you should try to curb them for health's
sake...but NOT having toworry about Type 2 developing specifically as a
result.This is also good news because further research in Type 2 treatment
mightstop focusing on weight-loss as a preventative measure, but in finding
thelifestyle patterns that allow the genetics to NOT develop into Type
2diabetes.So, in 10 years time, we may very well be discussin the myth that
overeatingcauses or can cause Type 2 diabetes...it seems that there is
growingevidence that is simply a falicy.FYI.Ryan
 Ryan, this has lead to a discussion on one list (without flame wars) of whether
or not Type II diabetes is caused by obesity or obesity is caused by diabetes.
Now as lay people, we can run in circles all day but if the scientists are
starting to see the connection, maybe there IS a connection? After all there are
how many diabetics out there? And how many people are classed as obese? I'm
asking politely cause I'm not really sure of the latest figures these days. What
percent of the obese are diabetic? And how many diabetics are obese?
 I do know that the Endocrine Society says in their latest figures that 8% of
women (and I believe that is of the US population) has PCOS. Now that is a
genetic disorder that causes Insulin Resistance and that predisopses one to
diabetes, especially if left untreated. I'm among that 8% and so is my youngest
half sister. Apparently my great grandmother passed it along to us and she got
it from somewhere in her past. Both my half sister and I have been blood tested
to confirm the syndrome. Liz

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com