Re: [IP] Re: health teacher

More than welcome, Lynn.  fwiw, I rarely (and I mean rarely) do a 2 hr
>lunch test even as an adult.  But it's a heck of a lot better than pre-pump
and lied rather than do the testing... esp. as I "cheated" regularly, so who
even knows what those sugars *really* were?!  <cringe>  I *did* suffer from
feeling lows regularly, but highs (and I *know* there must have been many)
didn't phase me that I could tell - no, that's not true, I'd get sleepy, but
none of the nausea, etc. that ketones give me now.  Not a very model
patient, I'm afraid. :-(  But I still feel kids need to be kids, too, and we
can smother them, with the best of intentions, with so much fussing it's
makes them neurotic and bitter.  What a blessing that you are able to relate
so well, having had diabetes as a kid - nothing beats someone who's BTDT.

From: email @ redacted

Thank you Danielle,
I also grew up with diabetes, since I was 9, and had the same type of
experience. Although my parents were not in the medical field they taught me
to be
independent about my diabetes from the beginning. I rarely made trips to the
nurses office and always had lifesavers with me. My mother talked to all my
teachers but I didn't know she had. until I was an adult.

Now that my son is also diabetic (for 8 years, he's now 13) I am trying to
teach him to take care of himself. I try to let my son be as normal as
(whatever his perception of normal is).

As for testing 2 hours after each meal I only ask him to do that
to spot check. If he can get a test in before lunch and when he's not
feeling right I think that is great. I want to let him be a regular kid as
as possible. I know that is what I wanted when I was young.

My son carries his test kit and insulin pen with him in his binder. He tests
and gives shots in his classroom and does not check in with the nurse.
OK, his school doesn't have a nurse as he goes to a private school, but the
secretary is in charge of the meds.~ well actually that isn't much different
from the public schools) We talk about his diabetic issues each day along
any other school issues that may have come up that day. I think it is too
to ask of a child, and his/her teachers to check in with the nurse every
he has to do something for his diabetes. I want it all to be a natural part
of his everyday life. I know I wouldn't do all the things I should do as a
diabetic if I had to check in with someone everytime I did it.

As for tests in school (academic) I only had a hard time if I was low. I
functioned quite well on tests, even if my BG's were high. I found when I
feeling like my BG's were high that was when It was beginning to effect my
thinking. Then I think it would be a good time to ask for time off from the
test and retake it later. Anyway... YMMV

Lynn S. "D" for 34 years, pumping 10 months and mom to Jesse, age 13, "D"
8 years, and awaiting his pump