Re: [IP] maltose

   Essentially all carbs are broken down or chemically altered in the
GI tract to enter the blood as glucose.   This includes maltose which
is a sugar comprised of 2 glucose molecules.  It will raise your BG
just like glucose or sucrose.  Sucrose is half glucose and half
fructose, but the GI enzymes break that bond and quickly convert the
fructose into glucose.  The glycemic indexes state that sucrose is
about half as effective in raising BG, but I'd be very cautious about
believing this.  For me, glucose and sucrose raise my BG exactly the
same amount and at the same rate, so the GI tables may not be at all
useful for diabetics.  If you have any doubts, it's an easy
experiment to try on yourself.  I'd bet the same amount of maltose
would raise BG exactly the same as glucose or sucrose.