Re: [IP] Re: health teacher

Thank you Danielle,
I also grew up with diabetes, since I was 9, and had the same type of
 experience. Although my parents were not in the medical field they taught me to
independent about my diabetes from the beginning.  I rarely made trips to the
nurses office and always had lifesavers with me.  My mother talked to all my
teachers but I didn't know she had. until I was an adult.

Now that my son is also diabetic (for 8 years, he's now 13) I am trying to
 teach him to take care of himself. I try to let my son be as normal as possible
(whatever his perception of normal is).

As for testing 2 hours after each meal I only ask him to do that occasionally
to spot check.  If he can get a test in before lunch and when he's not
 feeling right I think that is great. I want to let him be a regular kid as much
possible.  I know that is what I wanted when I was young.

My son carries his test kit and insulin pen with him in his binder.  He tests
and gives shots in his classroom and does not check in with the nurse. (Well,
OK, his school doesn't have a nurse as he goes to a private school, but the
secretary is in charge of the meds.~ well actually that isn't much different
from the public schools) We talk about his diabetic issues each day along with
 any other school issues that may have come up that day. I think it is too much
to ask of a child, and his/her teachers to check in with the nurse every time
he has to do something for his diabetes.  I want it all to be a natural part
of his everyday life.  I know I wouldn't do all the things I should do as a
diabetic if I had to check in with someone everytime I did it.

As for tests in school (academic)  I only had a hard time if I was low.  I
functioned quite well on tests, even if my BG's were high.  I found when I was
feeling like my BG's were high that was when It was beginning to effect my
 thinking. Then I think it would be a good time to ask for time off from the
and retake it later.  Anyway... YMMV

Lynn S. "D" for 34 years, pumping 10 months and mom to Jesse, age 13, "D" for
8 years, and awaiting his pump

Danielle wrote:

I have to say I've found self-education or education of one's children is
*the* key to dealing with misinformation - after 5 years or so of having
diabetes (by about age 13 or 14), I began to realize *I* was the expert just
by living 24/7 with the disease.  Once my perception changed, I began acting
less like a victim, and more like the "expert," and my peers picked up on
this.  Of course that teenage cynical "rolling of the eyes" helped this
along when totally wrong teaching would occur <g>  But it was rare there was
ever any fallout from the other kids due to the misinformation.  I would
give the "what a jerk" look, and life went on.

As to the suggestion of going to the Special Ed teacher, sorry, but I would
have *died* if a SpEd teacher came to my "rescue."  No offense to Special Ed
teachers, my dh works with kids that have learning inefficiencies, but kids'
perceptions are particularly honed to who is "special" and who is not...  I
was not "special" with diabetes - and I wouldn't have wanted anyone to make
it seem I was.  Most kids forgot I was any different because I did
everything they did.

And you're right, Michelle, the kids focused on the shots, at least in elem.
school.  By JrHi, I'd do nurse's office runs, saying I had to run elsewhere
(just as girls do when tending to "that time") - so it was no biggie.  And I
carried huge quantities of life savers, which saved me from many lows, but
which also made me a pal to those sitting near ;-)  I was just one of the
kids.  Teachers/guidance counselors/etc. - they *all* seemed to know I had
diabetes and endlessly made a big fuss, which I endlessly tried to squelch
with desperate looks and signals - at the time, I could never understand
what the big deal was.  Today, I am *so* thankful my RN mom brought me up
thinking that way, and did not treat me as a sick person, or act as if the
disease was more than it was.  She taught me responsibility, which I could
take or not, but I'd face the consequences.  Gave me chutzpah to go after

Attitude is everything.  I believe if we coach our kids to be "expert" re
info on their personal challenges, and "normal" re life, it will get them