[IP] Re: health teacher

I have to say I've found self-education or education of one's children is
*the* key to dealing with misinformation - after 5 years or so of having
diabetes (by about age 13 or 14), I began to realize *I* was the expert just
by living 24/7 with the disease.  Once my perception changed, I began acting
less like a victim, and more like the "expert," and my peers picked up on
this.  Of course that teenage cynical "rolling of the eyes" helped this
along when totally wrong teaching would occur <g>  But it was rare there was
ever any fallout from the other kids due to the misinformation.  I would
give the "what a jerk" look, and life went on.

As to the suggestion of going to the Special Ed teacher, sorry, but I would
have *died* if a SpEd teacher came to my "rescue."  No offense to Special Ed
teachers, my dh works with kids that have learning inefficiencies, but kids'
perceptions are particularly honed to who is "special" and who is not...  I
was not "special" with diabetes - and I wouldn't have wanted anyone to make
it seem I was.  Most kids forgot I was any different because I did
everything they did.

And you're right, Michelle, the kids focused on the shots, at least in elem.
school.  By JrHi, I'd do nurse's office runs, saying I had to run elsewhere
(just as girls do when tending to "that time") - so it was no biggie.  And I
carried huge quantities of life savers, which saved me from many lows, but
which also made me a pal to those sitting near ;-)  I was just one of the
kids.  Teachers/guidance counselors/etc. - they *all* seemed to know I had
diabetes and endlessly made a big fuss, which I endlessly tried to squelch
with desperate looks and signals - at the time, I could never understand
what the big deal was.  Today, I am *so* thankful my RN mom brought me up
thinking that way, and did not treat me as a sick person, or act as if the
disease was more than it was.  She taught me responsibility, which I could
take or not, but I'd face the consequences.  Gave me chutzpah to go after

Attitude is everything.  I believe if we coach our kids to be "expert" re
info on their personal challenges, and "normal" re life, it will get them

From: "Michelle & Howard Schlight" email @ redacted

Perhaps she can just turn in the papers thet were already done? Di they get
good grades?

Just kidding, but you know what I mean <GRIN>

In the 35 yrs I have dealt with Diabetes, the Gym teachers, Nurses (way back
in the dark ages) adn the ones that should have been the best, always seemed
to be the worst. That is too bad that what I experienced in the 60s-70s and
even 80s is still occuring today.

Hey on the brighter side, YOUR daughter was listening!! I would assume that
most kids never heard what was being taught :-)

We DID have one really good teacher, and I 'got' to give an oral report on
Diabets and what it meant to me....back in late elem or early middle
school......the kids focused on shots, etc, but a few, including teachers,
DID Learn a few things about D, back then
good luck