[IP] maltose

Recently, I have run across maltose being advertised as a sugar "that
doesn't count". In Costco, a company was giving samples of a sugar-free
chocolate. I asked what their sweetner was and their reply was that it
was maltose. I said, "That has carbs. My daughter with diabetes
couldn't eat your product." The guys response was "The carbs in maltose
don't count." Then I noticed a friend with type 2 eating a low carb
snack bar. The 30 carbs were from maltose. This didn't seem low carb to

Are the carbs from maltose any different from the carbs in glucose? If
not, this is dangerous, false advertising.